Welcome

~ This blog is my journal as I learn to view each moment as a gift from God. Feel free to join me as I learn and grow through this wild adventure of abundant life, moment by moment!

Thursday, October 8, 2009

My Garden Trophy

My garden has been an interesting one this year….. I have learned a lot and, esp considering my lack of weeding, attention, etc…. I think that we got a pretty good harvest. I learned that you can plant too many varieties of squash and end up with some cross pollination wonders….. At least that is what we are assuming happened!  I learned that too much nitrogen in the soil turns your tomato plants into wild, leggy creatures that tower above your head but bear little fruit, that I don’t like turnips nearly as well as I thought I did, that nasturtium flowers are hot and peppery, that home grown radishes can be hotter than any raw garlic you have eaten, that powdery mildew is BAD stuff, and just how much I DETEST slugs. I learned that weeds do VERY well here (as do slugs), that first year gardens have a LOT of weeds (and slugs), that if you want to make salsa you should NOT plant you tomatoes and cilantro at the same time, even if your tomatoes are starts and your cilantro comes in seed form. It has been a lot of fun sharing my garden with my folks….. They have been a lot of help and I am so thankful that they let me tear up part of their yard to convert into my garden! My folks are the best!!! (and no, I did not write that because you read my blog Mom, I just love you and Dad like crazy and am not afraid to post it! :o)  

Anyhow, Dad and I picked a couple of the large squash before the slugs got them and tonight I took pics of the kids with the largest so you could get an idea of just what beauty this baby is! :o)  The lighting was a bit too low so the pics aren’t the greatest but I had fun fixing them up so that hopefully you won’t be able to tell just how mediocre they were! :o)

J: 

Oct 09 070p1

B:  O.k. replaced the scary photo that I posted last night….. obviously it was late and I was tired. I can think of no other excuse for such a freaky pic…… This one, though it has it’s deficiencies, is much better!

Oct 09 091p2

 

I: Wish he were smiling but sometimes you just have to take what you can get!

Oct 09 057p1

Now isn’t that a beauty of a pumpkin? :o)

 

Hoping for a family play day tomorrow…… If we get to go play, there should be more fun, photo filled posts coming!  :o) 

1 comment:

  1. I love the look on "I"s face, even if he isn't smiling, it's a great look.

    ReplyDelete