Since I have a small # of blog readers, 1 request for post topic is popular demand :o) so, if you are reading this, MamaGriffith this is for you!!!
This year I am using the First grade curriculum from My Father’s World. We are really loving it! We are currently in the review section (or at least it is review for J) in which they discuss the basics of phonics and make sure that the child has a good grasp on phonics and reading. This has been a very good refresher for J and has really helped boost her confidence. (Please note that the following is what happens most days but not all…. Some days just don’t go as well as others!)During our “opening ceremonies” (haha) I&B join us for prayer, a hymn, and memory verse. J then does her work book pages (phonics, reading, handwriting*) while they go play in the bedroom with their special school time stuff. She then does her math pages, we are using the ABeka math program. She started the first grade book near the end of last year and so is continuing with that. The younger 2 come out for our science, or whatever other subject is scheduled for the day. We are struggling to get an early enough start (due to my health issues) to get the extra stuff in as I would like. We had good intentions of doing art and Latin weekly but we have not officially started either yet. Later in the year she will have a Bible reading book added. We also read together. Our book titles and levels vary, but it is a great time to instill in them a love of great literature. On Wednesdays we have “Exploration Day” or as my children call it “Inspiration Day”. On this day we don’t have any regular work but spend the day reading books on our science subject of the week (which I get from the library), exploring outside, doing science experiments, and just plain having fun. It is great and breaks up the week into very doable pieces for me. This curriculum is based on the Charlotte Mason theory of education, which I highly recommend! I am currently reading a book called ‘For The Children’s Sake’ by Susan Schaeffer-Macaulay. Fascinating!!!
For B I am doing random bits here and there as I can. It worked well for J so I am hopeful that it will work well for B also. :o) I have her do ‘ReadyWriter’ sheets, practice writing her letters, talk about letter sounds, and ‘Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons’. For math we fluctuate between ABeka Kindergarten, writing numbers, and dot-to-dots. We also just try to incorporate learning throughout the day in our day-to-day life stuff. :o)
So, MamaG, I hope this is what you were looking for! :o)
* Note: For handwriting we use the ‘Italic Handwriting Series’ by Getty & Dubay.


thanks! I loved your post and am excited to hear more about it as you get further in. I LOVE the library! We try to go every two weeks and its great to have books to reinforce great learning. my sister in law was here for the week and I got to drool over her 1st grade saxton and I might do that next year just because it is soo good and my girl is better at math than I am.
ReplyDelete