Welcome

~ This blog is my journal as I learn to view each moment as a gift from God. Feel free to join me as I learn and grow through this wild adventure of abundant life, moment by moment!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mother’s Day part II

  My eldest is all about fun and, as any day with a name *must* be fun, she spent the week before Mothers day getting her card ready, discussing gift ideas, and doing things for me because “Mother’s Day is *almost* here”. :o)  Saturday night she asked to do the reading for our family devotional time “for Mother’s Day”.  She started by reading Ecclesiastes 3:1-8.  “There is a time for everything under heaven – A time to be born and a time to die…….”  ;o) Rather an interesting start but She loves the rhythm of those verses. She then turned to Song of Solomon because “that sounded fun” I tactfully discouraged that and asked her to find something in the New Testament to finish with.  I guess Song of Solomon may have been fitting if we wanted to discuss how I got to be a mother! I just wasn’t ready for the sort of discussion that could arise from some of the verses that she might open to. Lol!

  She decided to read in John 19:14-27.  It is the account of Christ’s death on the cross. What got me was the last 2 verses and how touching they were for a Mother’s day reading. Listening to her read, I was struck by Christ’s act of love for his earthly Mother. He was suffering an agony I cannot even imagine, physical, emotional, and spiritual pain, and what did He do?  He saw Mary and, concerned for her well being even in the midst of his suffering, He arranged for her care. He was dying by means of torture and still He took initiative to ensure that she was loved and cared for.  It was such a beautiful picture and, as a mom, such an encouragement to me that He cares for me and my ministry as a mom. The poignant beauty of that passage has lingered in my mind since she read it.

Though I have read those verses many, many times, they have never really hit me like that before. My little girls “random” choice of passages really blessed me and were one of the sweetest gifts I received, so I thought I would share……. 

1 comment: