Welcome

~ This blog is my journal as I learn to view each moment as a gift from God. Feel free to join me as I learn and grow through this wild adventure of abundant life, moment by moment!

Sunday, January 31, 2010

I want a "Susan Baker" :o)

 Now, any of you 'Anne of Green Gables' buffs know what I am talking about but, for those of you who maybe haven't read all 8 books this week :o), I will explain.  Susan Baker is the house help at Anne's House of Dreams and then at Ingleside.  I love her. She is a fun, chatty, "old maid" who "knows her place" lol, is hard working, makes pies almost every day, etc.... Now, I realize there is a lot of people who think that because we have modern appliances we no longer need house help, but I disagree. My appliances REFUSE to have a conversation with me, they don't do the work themselves if I am sick, they can't wipe a runny nose if I am up to my armpits in something or other, in short they are just appliances.
ETA:  I don't think I was as clear as I wanted when I wrote this..... A BIG part of what I loved in Susan Baker was the mutual benefit. It wasn't just a job. She became 1 of the family. She couldn't have imagined life without them. They needed her, she was useful, she was loved, she was family. Without that job she most likely would have been stuck living with siblings, feeling like a burden instead of a needed part of the family.  For the Blythes the help was invaluable, but so was the love, the care, the devotion of this woman. The couldn't have imagined living without her either. She wasn't just some person who had been hired and came once in awhile to help out. She lived with them and loved them. The beauty in the situation is the mutual beneficiation of both parties.
I also am developing a LOVE for the naming of homes..... I just love that many homes used to have names and would love for my someday home to have a name.  :o)

 On a slightly different subject, I noticed how much I have changed this week. When I first read the 'Anne' series (tweens/early teens?)  I loved them for the fun story and for the romance, when I read them in my late teens it was for those reasons and for the characters and just plain wonderful writing, such descriptions!  When I read them in my early twenties I still loved them but didn't like them as well, there was something that made me slightly unsettled. Too much "magic" for my very matter-of -fact personage? I wasn't sure what it was....... This time I was able to put my finger on exactly what it was that left me feeling rather disappointed. It was the fact that there was so much religion.  They quoted Bible verses, they talked about going to heaven, etc... but it always stopped short of the mark. They never seem to be absolutely sure of how or why they were going to get there.  I was rather saddened by this frequent falling short of the truth. I realize its a novel but still......  I have noticed this in other books too. They last week I watched 'Fiddler On The Roof'.  I have always loved that movie for the characters, the drama, and the romance, but this time I watched ti with sorrow. It hit home like never before how very lost these people were. Very religious and sincere in their traditions but sincerely wrong.  I about cried over the line " Rabbi, we have waited so long for the Messiah, wouldn't now be a good time for him to come?"  Oh, for people to realize that He HAS come. Our Messiah had come and He is offering the healing you so desperately need! 

  Anyhow, I just thought it interesting that in so many areas lately I am seeing much more clearly peoples need for a Messiah, their longings, and all that He has to offer. I am more sensitive to the evidences of the emptiness and deceptiveness of religion. 

 Anyhow, enough of my ramblings.......  Hope you all have a lovely week! :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment